Thursday, November 6, 2008

I have been trying to figure out a way to do research on gay and lesbian couples and their wishes for having children. Unfortunately, I don't know many gay and lesbians. This past weekend I asked a table of guys and girls if there were any gays or lesbians in the group and explained why I asked (I was in New Orleans). I told them I was doing research for my blog. One of the guys at the table gave me his wife's email address because she is an attorney and had just completed a gay adoption. Of course they were form the north. I can do research on the Internet but it does not seem to mean as much to me. I would rather talk with an individual and see how they feel about the issue. I plan on contacting the attorney via email, but have not done this yet. I guess we took a step back this week since California banned gay marriage. Really what is the big deal??? Aren't we over it. I don't seem to understand why people can't face reality, there are gay people. I do not think this is going to change anytime soon. I know that I am laid back, but who cares if someone chooses to be gay. According to a March 2006 Pew Research Center poll, 46 percent of Americans support gay and lesbian adoption, up from 38 percent in 1999, www.cnn.com. This is a pretty large number. If the American people support gay adoption then whey don't they support gay marriage? This is a cute ad for gay adoption, check it out!!!

3 comments:

. said...

I agree with you missy what is the big deal... I thought the fact that gay and lesbian couples were able to get married in california was behind us. I don't know the full story but heard on the news that the couples that got married in california may be in some trouble. I also saw on the new where a group of protesters were in california protesting (I wonder if this was the reason)? Anyway, I feel that this should not be such a big deal. They are making it much bigger than what it really is. They should let people live their lives they way they want to live it. Banning gay marriages is just a way for people to enforce their religious beliefs.

Angelique's said...

You know I use to believe that. However, in today's society, everybody is always pointing fingers about the lifestyle or sexual orientation of a person. It just something about the lifestyle that sticks out. Some people say that it does not bother them but others are down right blatant and have no problem in expressing their distaste with people that practice that lifestyle. I personally do not have an issue with someone being of a certain sexual orientation, my only problem is when they try to put their proclivities off on me. Then I can be one ignorant broad. Yes, people I did say broad…..LOL.

gradual student said...

"The Unmarried Couple Adoption Ban is a citizen-initiated state statute that would make it illegal for any individual cohabiting outside of a valid marriage to adopt or provide foster care to minors. While the measure was proposed primarily to prohibit same-sex couples from being adoptive or foster parents, this measure would apply to all otherwise qualified couples who are not legally married" -- the Arkansas ban.

If same sex marriage continues to be outlawed, then this type of ban can become de facto and de jure law (or Code in Alabama's case) in many states. It also applies to opposite sex couples who aren't married. So, Goldie Hawn and Kurt Douglas couldn't adopt or foster - neither could Oprah. Should government legislate family composition? China does, it is possible, one child per married couple. What does the most harm to a child? Foster care drift or a person who wants them?